Banana muffins: a classic must have recipe
Sometimes you just have to go with the classics – a great banana muffin recipe perfect for those last few (too) ripe bananas. This recipe is basic, moist and quick. I made a double batch because I had lots of ready bananas – one batch was regular muffins with no topping and one was minis with the brown sugar/cinnamon topping.
Printable Recipe for Banana Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (split in half)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray muffin tin (24 minis or 12 regular size) with vegetable spray or line with papers.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, mix bananas, sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar, egg and vegetable oil. Add the dry ingredients and nuts if used just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups – an ice cream scoop works great.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ¼ cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
- While still warm in the pan, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar/cinnamon mixture, then set aside to cool.